Northern California Regional Youth Treatment Center
Northern California Youth Treatment Center (NCYRTC) Sacred Oaks Healing Center, Indian Health Service. Treatment of approximately 100 tribal youth
The center was designed for sustainability, energy efficiency, and environmental design. The client aimed for Zero-Energy and sustainable design elements to gain LEED V$ for BD=C Platinum certification. To meet these goals, using SIPS was the only building material available to accomplish this.
Panel Thickness: 8" Exterior Walls / 12" Roof Panels
Benefits of Using SIPs:
This project was a prevailing wage project. The use of SIPS substantially kept the labor costs down as the SIPS walls and roof were manufactured in a factory climate. Spline and dimensional lumber was installed in the factory normally done on-site to further reduce labor costs. The results created a savings in building time normally HALF of what it would have been if done conventionally.
Utilizing 8" exterior panels and 12" roof panels, created extreme energy efficiency of over 65%, giving the project Zero-Energy compliance and Energy Start Certification plus Leed Platinum. This was a must as the project is located in the central Valley of CA, with very hot temperatures in the summer months and cold in the winter months.
Innovative Design Elements:
- Two buildings have curved walls and roofs, to follow the radius of the roundhouse located in the courtyard.
- All curved radius cuts were figured on the shop drawings for the SIPs and cut during manufacturing.
- The roundhouse has a circumference of over 100' with a 14' radius.
- The roundhouse wall panels are segmented to allow for the curved radius of the building.
- 5-Energy Star
- Net Zero Energy Certified
- Dept. of Energy Zero-Ready Certified
- All Energy Star Appliances
- Indoor airPLUS Certified
- Floor Score Certified
- LEED V4 for BD+C Platinum Certification
- UL Certified
HERS Index: -19
Blower Door Test: .047 ACH 50
- Roof Top Units and VRVs
- 4250 HWh surplus (net-positive) power (equivalent to 10,000 miles in an electric car at 2.6 mo9/kWh)
- All HVAC has ASHRAE 135 Compliance
- Meets the LEED V4 BD+C Platinum Certification and Zero Energy design.
Other Energy-Saving Materials Used: All materials had to meet Zero-Energy Design and compliance with LEEDs.
Solar Panels: 12.43 kW roof PV Array
"The whole-house battery wiring and Alexa-controlled blinds, lighting, and electronics ensure the home is future-ready for everything Mother Nature brings while leaving only a light zero-emissions footprint. "