CVH Anacortes Classic Zero Energy
SIPS construction is one of the primary keys to the success of Clifton View Homes, especially when it comes to designing and building Zero-Energy Homes. They are sought after for their skill and experience in using Premier SIPS to achieve outstanding energy efficiency. This single-family home with a mother-in-law suite on the accessible main level is a prime example.
Benefits of SIPS:
SIPS are the key to tight, energy-efficient construction, without the thermal bridging, and on-site labor issues required by conventional stick-framed construction. SIPS also allow the entire roof to be installed and dried in within a single day of work. This allows sub-contractors to work inside the home much sooner, advancing the schedule by weeks.
Innovative Design Elements:
- Large open rooms on both floors with lots of large beams
- Tall ceilings and craftsman style allowed for beams to be exposed
- SIPs roof was engineered using I-joist splines to increase the spans, keeping the attic area open and usable as a hobby room
- Attic window provides a spectacular view of the town and yacht basin
- DOE Zero Energy Ready
- Energy Star
- EPA Indoor Air Plus
- SICBA Built Green 5-Star
HERS Index: -19
Blower Door Test: .82 ACH50
The main floor is heated with a Daikin Altherma air-to-water heat pump and in-floor radiant heat. The Daikin Altherma also provides domestic hot water, at about 450% efficiency. The second floor and attic are mostly passively heated with the warm air rising from the lower level, but a small Daikin ductless heat pump was installed with a head in the master suite and another in the 2nd-floor office in case cooling was ever needed in the summer. These two ductless heads can also provide auxiliary heating if it is ever required.
Energy-Saving Materials/Energy-Efficient Products or Design Features:
- Under-slab insulation is 4" of XPS foam (R-20)
- Approximately 8KW of solar panels were installed on the south-facing roof, with room for more when the owners purchase an electric car.
- Charging facilities were planned for in the electrical panel.
- Windows are Vinyltek triple-glazed, triple-low-e with U-values between U.17 and U. 21 depending on the opening size and configuration
- The Energy-Star appliance package included the dishwasher and a front-loading washing machine
- All lighting is LED, and ceiling fans are Energy-Star listed
"This project is a great example of how a very traditional craftsman-style home can be constructed using the latest materials and methods, at the same time achieving futuristic energy efficiencies. The HERS rating of -19 is the lowest we have achieved to date."