New Century - Columbia City Single Family
End Use: Spec home with ultra-green features
Why SIPs?: This "beyond net-zero" project is a Positive Energy home that generates enough power to operate all needs. SIPs were necessary to make this happen.
Benefits of SIPs: Install time was VERY FAST, labor costs were minimal compared to other advanced framing options, and oh, those energy savings!!!!
Innovative Design Elements:
- Positive Energy Home powers all home energy and an electric car
- Solar Panels
- Hydronic radiant floors
- Triple-pane windows
- HEPA air filtration system
- Premier SIPS
- Reclaimed fir floors
- Induction stove
- Ultra-efficient a/c
- Electric car charging station
- No electric bills and added solar tax credits for this 5-bedroom home
- Built Green 5-Star
- Energy Star Certified Home
- Indoor Air Plus Qualified
- Department of Energy Net Zero Energy
HVAC: Ultra efficient AC (Chilltrix CX 30) heat pump, radiant hydronic in-floor & fan coil heaters. Balanced, always-on, whole-house HEPA-filtered air exchange coupled to on-demand cooking & humidity exhaust.
Energy-Savings Materials/Energy-Efficient Products or Design Features:
- Rainwater infiltrated on-site
- Build follows existing site slope to eliminate soil trucking
- Energy shell designed with smaller east/west window to avoid overheating via solar gain
- Passive solar harvesting on the south aspect using appropriately sized & shaded windows
"Positive Energy homes use non-carbon-based sources of energy to produce 100% of the energy needed for appliances, heating, and lighting. Additionally, the home generates enough energy to power an electric car. Most importantly, a positive energy home does not produce carbon emissions, which are responsible for global warming."