San Pedro Addition
End Use: Single-family residence
Why SIPs: Ease and speed of assembly, and insulation performance for title 24 energy code requirements were driving factors.
Benefits of SIPs: IPs helped save install time and costs on labor for framing and insulation, as well as turn key code compliance and fast permitting. Which resulted in a superior quality product over conventional framing.
Innovative Design Elements:
- Room orientation and operable windows are designed to take advantage of prevailing breezes from the ocean a mile away.
- High clerestory windows help expel warm air, negating the need for AC and heat for most of the year.
- Structurally, a large glu-lam beam in the high-ceiling great room helps divide the load of the roof panels and serves as a decorative element on the interiors.
- The roof panels are designed to support a roof deck in the future.
HVAC: 5-zone mini-split heat pump
Energy-Saving Products / Energy-Efficient Designs Used:
- Windows: U=0.34, SHGC=0.25
- Low efficacy LED lighting throughout
- Occupancy sensors
- Gas tankless water heating
- Energy star appliances
- Low-flow plumbing fixtures
- Operable clearstory windows for passive cooling