Cedarwood Zero Energy
Cedarwood is a Net Zero Energy residence in Bellingham, WA. The homeowners wanted to use materials that would be high-performing, use very low energy, but affordable. Using Premier SIPS helped achieve low operating costs which was a win-win for the homeowner.
Benefits of SIPS:
SIPs provided a highly insulated and air-tight envelope with required R-values. With proper air sealing, the home was able to achieve the desired environmental certifications.
Innovative Design Elements:
- TC Legend Homes achieved a very airtight envelope that shows air leakage of only 0.67 air changes per hour at 50 Pascals pressure difference (ACH 50) when tested with a blower door.
- Where the SIP panels connect to the ICF foundation wall, TC Legend Homes used sill seal plus two beads of SIP mastic under the SIP panel.
- They caulked the seam where the SIP panel meets the floor along the inside perimeter of the home.
- Before drywalling, the crew also foamed the rough openings and caulked around all windows
- Foamed behind all electric boxes and caulked around them
- Foamed around electric wires & plumbing pipes and taped and caulked all seams in SIP panels.
- Energy Star Certified Version 3
- Meets 2012 IECC Levels
- Exceed EPA Indoor airPLUS and WaterSense
- Meets EPA Renewable Energy Ready Home
- 2014 DOE Housing Innovation Award Winner
HERS Index: 43 when PV power production is not included/13 when PV is included
Blower Door: 0.67 per hour at ACH 50
HVAC: One ductless heat pump 12 HSPF, 21.5 SEER
Other Energy Saving Materials/Products:
- ICF Foundations R-28
- R-20 rigid high-density EPS foam board under slabs
- Triple-paned vinyl-framed windows at U=0.20, SHGC=0.45
- Instant tankless consensing gas-fired water heater 0.96 EF
- 100% LED light fixtures / 100% CFL for lamps
- High-efficiency electric washer-dryer combo
- Solar 3.2-kW PV
- 30 cfm, 2.7-watt continuous exhaust fan in the bathroom by earth tubes that bring in filtered, tempered outside air passively via 100', 6" pipe buried below the ground inside foundation footing
- Spot ventilation fans in kitchen and utility closet