Mountain Cabin Port Townsend
End Use: Set on 5 wooded acres in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains of Washington State, this hilltop modern craftsman-style cottage is designed and set to maximize natural light and cubic footage to create a sense of spaciousness in a tiny energy-efficient footprint.
Why SIPs: The clients were motivated primarily by energy efficiency but SIPs construction also supported the owners' desire for a small space with an open floor plan.
Benefits of SIPs: SIPS will save energy costs for this home that is located in an exposed, wet location. But SIPs also saved cost of executing vaulted ceiling throughout that maximized living and storage space by reducing quantity of required dimensional lumber during a time of high consumer prices.
Innovative Design Elements: KD Structural specified Simpson Strong Walls - prefabricated, engineered panels - and extensive use of glulam support beams that allowed for an elevated primary living space with a three-season indoor/outdoor space below that expanded the living area of the tiny footprint. Interior glulams allowed for fewer walls and an open, energy-efficient floor plan.
EnergyStar rated Mitsubishi Trane 12K BTU Hyper Heat Ductless Heat Pump with exclusive inverter technology that allows it to maintain its efficiency when temperatures drop, all the way down to -13 degrees Fahrenheit. EnergyStar rated Mitsubishi Trane 12K BTU Hyper Heat Ductless Heat Pump with exclusive inverter technology that allows it to maintain its efficiency when temperatures drop, all the way down to -13 degrees Fahrenheit.
Energy-Saving or Energy-Efficient Materials or Features:
- Sierra Pacific Urban Awning windows with U factor 0.3 and Low E-272 glazing were used and provide a balance of solar gain during cold months and reflection of intense light of summer months.
- Site and home placement results in significant passive solar gain during winter months.
- Awning openings provide crossflow cooling from summer breezes emanating from the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
- All LED lighting
- Ductless heat pump supplemented by Ducoterra IR panels
- Rheem 27 KW on-demand hot water heater is self modulating and 99.8% energy efficient
- Frigidaire Gallery induction cooktop with auto sizing technology
- EnergyStar rated: 18" Bosch Dishwasher
- EnergyStar rates: 24" Whirlpool Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- EnergyStar rated: Beko Front Loading compact washer
- EnergyStar rated: Ventless Heat Pump clothes dryer
- A study done by SEDI (Super Efficient Dryer Initiative) found that heat pump dryers save 50-60% of energy as compared to conventional clothes dryers and, in addition, save energy because there is no outside venting.
- 60" Hinkley DC ceiling fan circulates heat efficiently in great room.
Solar: Planned but to be installed in the future