TC Legend Bellingham Platinum
End Use: Residential Single Family Positive Energy Home
Why SIPs?: TC Legend Homes was selected as the builder for this project. TCL coordinated all aspects of the project from design through construction and has developed a "positive energy" system that relies on the energy-efficient components that Premier SIPS offers. This project was modeled after this high-performance system. And achieved extremely high energy data given its larger footprint. A great achievement!
Further, the design of this home featured a soaring vaulted cathedral ceiling in the great room that is easily achieved with the span/load values of PRemier SIPS without the need for additional support/truss systems.
Benefits of SIPs: Premier SIPS saved time, labor, construction costs, and energy. Install time is days, not weeks which equates to a reduction in framing and other trade labor. Premier SIPS were comparable overall for the options on a net-zero/positive energy project. The main floor also includes a large cathedral ceiling which the spans/loads of SIPs worked perfectly and eliminated the need for additional truss/load systems.
Innovative Design Elements: The entire project was engineered to be positive energy so that it would be able to produce more energy than it needs to operate. This required planning from the start to ensure all systems were complimented and optimized. While there was considerable upfront planning to achieve this operating status, the construction period flew with components being pre-planned for execution. TC Legend Homes is well considered the foremost expert on positive-energy homes and has constructed dozens in Washington State.
- Energy Star Certified New Home
- Washington Built Green - Highest 5-Star Status
- EPA Indoor AirPLUS Qualified Home
- DOE Zero Energy Ready
Blower Door Test: Htg: 0.44 clg: 0.44 ACH 50.
Energy Use: Estimated energy use annually -3102 KwH, Space heating 11.7 kbtu/hr, Space cooling 9.2 kbtu/hr
- Electric air source heat pump, Electric Htg.: 13.4 HSPF. Clg: 23.0 SEER
- Heating: Propane fuel-fired unit heater 90.0 AFUE
- Ventilation: Balanced HRV, 120 cfm, 34 watts
- Thermostat: Programmable heating and cooling
Energy-Saving Materials / Energy-Efficient Products or Design Features:
- Triple-Pane Windows, U-Value: 0.170, SHGC: 0.330
- Solar Array
- Under Slab Insulation, R-20 under & R-20 Edge Slab
- Passive Solar Orientation
- Heat pump hot water with /fan coil units
- Radiant flooring
Solar Panels: Photovoltaics estimated at an annual energy consumption of -35.6 MMBtu/yr
- GPS insulation core for increased efficiency.
- Annual energy cost for all operations is $87.00